Pages

Friday, January 15, 2016

Oh, The Places We’ve Gone

I haven’t had much time to write over the last few weeks because I was wrapping up my semester abroad and then travelling with my best friend for a couple weeks before returning home. I’ve been home for just over a week now and it’s been a busy week full of seeing friends and family, enjoying being home, and trying to remember that the past four months was more than an amazing dream. Now I’m preparing to repack over the next two days to go back to school in Pennsylvania.

*Warning: This is a long one.

See You Later, Budapest

Saying goodbye to Budapest and all of the great people I’d met there was bittersweet. I was ready to go home and see my family and my home again but it was hard to know that such an incredible adventure was coming to an end.
Statue on the CIEE webpage that we only found the last weekend there
When I wasn’t studying, I spent my last couple weeks getting around the city as much as I could to see my favorite places one last time and to see new places I hadn’t gotten around to sooner. And Christmas shopping. So much Christmas shopping. My roommate and I kept each other sane as best we could while shopping that last weekend.

CIEE threw us a farewell dinner on our last Friday evening that included traditional Hungarian food like goulash soup, chicken paprikash, and somlói galuska for dessert. When we had finished, we hugged our program advisors and professors goodbye. One of our advisors, Juci, refused to say goodbye and insisted on saying, “See you later.”

Packing took several hours and a whole lot of hope. It was extra challenging for me because I had to pack for two and a half weeks of travel (carry-on only style) in addition to the two checked bags I needed to get from Budapest to London and then to Boston at the end.

As difficult as it was to leave my temporary home, I was thrilled to travel with my best friend before going home. It was especially nice to have that intermittent period between homework and home that allowed us to relax while also seeing so much.

A Grand European Adventure

I flew to London from Budapest on December 20, while most of the people I had spent the last several months with began their journey home. I met my best friend there and we had about 24 hours until our next flight that would begin our Grand Adventure, so we didn’t do much that night.

In the morning we got our large bags into storage and made our way to our first destination: Pompeii, Italy. We landed in Naples without much of a plan, which is very unlike me. We had a hostel booked and only vague directions for how to get there.

After a lot of confusion and several odd interactions, we eventually got a bus to Pompeii and found our hostel thanks to the help of some extremely kind locals who spoke no English. We were the only ones in the hostel and it was positively freezing, but our host, the owner’s father who spoke almost no English, was very kind and made most of our meals during our stay.

Our one full day in Pompeii was immersed in the ancient city’s history. We began with a trip up Mount Vesuvius where we had the most incredible views of the Amalfi coast through the fog. We could also see some of the steam coming from inside the crater since it is still an active volcano. My friend was least enthused by the fact that it is said to have a 20-year cycle but hasn’t erupted since 1944, making it beyond due for another eruption.
Stunning view from the top of Mt. Vesuvius
Later we walked around the ancient city and covered the major areas that we wanted to see including the forum and the amphitheater (where they house devastating plasters of some of the victims). It was fascinating to see what was left of what was once such a glorious city.
The Forum in Pompeii
Pompeii Amphitheater
The next day we took a train to Rome where we spent six nights. We saw St. Peter’s Basilica, wandered around Vatican City, and threw coins into Trevi Fountain on our first full day. The next day was Christmas Day during which we chose to mostly stay in and watch classic Christmas movies like “Elf” and “Die Hard.”
St. Peter's Basilica
On the weekend we took a train for a day trip to Florence on a whim. There we saw the David (Michaelangelo’s masterpiece Renaissance sculpture of a man that is over five meters tall), the Duomo (part of a beautiful cathedral), Ponte Vecchio (a bridge lined with jewelry shops), and the Galileo Museum.
Ponte Vecchio
Inside il Duomo
Back in Rome we took a tour of the Coliseum early the next day. The tour allowed us to go on the stage, into the dungeon underneath, and up to the highest spot currently open in the structure. Our guide shared a lot of interesting information and clarified some false ideas that many of us may have come with, like the actual amount of violence and the use of the so-called “dungeons.”
The Colosseum
Inside the Colosseum from the top
On our last full day we got skip-the-line tickets for the Vatican and were very glad when we walked by the huge line shortly after they opened. We walked through on our own instead of opting for a tour but we were glad to go at our own pace. The decoration was unbelievably intricate and extravagant throughout, especially in the Sistine Chapel.

The next day we flew to Dublin, Ireland. We got to our hostel and our 10-bed dorm around 2 a.m. and took our time waking up and making our way around the city the next day. We took a walking tour to hit a lot of the major points since we realized that we didn’t really know what was there.
Dublin Castle, an architectural mishmash
Ha'penny over the River Liffey
On New Years Eve we took a day trip to Cobh, Cork, and Blarney. We walked the grounds of Blarney Castle but only after kissing the Blarney Stone, which is said to give the gift of gab for the next seven years. Results have yet to be proven.
Blarney Castle
Kissing the Blarney Stone
We spent our last morning in Dublin at the National Leprechaun Museum, learning a bit about the tricky creatures. Then we flew to our last European stop: London. With only two full days in London, our excursions involved early mornings and tired feet in the evenings. My friend had spent her semester in London and knew the lay of the land so she served as my guide.
Peeking out of a storybook at the National Leprechaun Museum, Dublin
During our first day we through Reagent’s Park, up Primrose Hill, and to Camden Market for lunch. Then we moved on to see Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament, and Westminster Abbey. We took a ride on the London Eye Ferris wheel to get a spectacular view of the city as night fell.
Buckingham Palace
Big Ben and Parliament
The London Eye
View from near the top of the London Eye
The second day we got our luggage from storage back to the hostel and then went to the British Museum to see the Rosetta Stone and remnants from the Parthenon. Then we went to the London Bridge and walked across it to go through the Tower of London, which is more of a fortress than a tower. There we saw the crown jewels, armor over the years, and more.
The Rosetta Stone
Remnants of the Parthenon in the British Museum
London Bridge

The Great Return

Coming home was surreal. When we landed and met our parents at the airport, it felt like we had never left. It felt good to be home, even though I missed the incredible places I’ve been and the constant activity. It’s been good to relax for a short time before returning to school.

My experiences over the last four months feel a little dreamlike because they were so incredible. I was able to go places and see and do things I could only ever imagine before. It was the adventure of a lifetime and it has inspired me to do so much more (when I have money again).

I want nothing more than to share my experiences with anyone who wants to hear them and to encourage others to take their own journeys. From mine I learned more confidence and I solidified who I am and what I want from my life. I hope others can do the same. No matter how big or small the adventure, there’s a lot to learn out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment