Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Tips for Trekking – Part II (Transportation, Navigation, and Preparation)

Having never used public transportation on my own - let alone not having traveled on my own before - I was a fish out of water (aka a small-town girl in a big city). It took some getting used to but eventually hopping on the tram or taking the metro became second nature to me. Even flying became something I looked forward to at the end of the week. But no matter how easy things become, you can never be ready for everything. And that's okay!

Transportation

  1. Try to wait for the second bathroom at airports. There will likely be times that waiting is not an option (especially when it’s your last chance before a lengthy wait in a border control line), but I have found that a majority of the time the restrooms immediately off the plane are smaller, more crowded, and dirtier than those by or closer to baggage claim.
  2. Keep water and snacks with you when traveling. I know that airport prices are outrageous but it will help in the end. Despite having every meal on my flight to Europe, I nearly passed out in the Frankfurt, Germany airport during my layover and somehow communicated to two very kind German men who saw me about to lower myself to the floor that I needed water (since I had none of my own) and they made sure I was taken care of before boarding the plane. Thank you mysterious German men!
  3. Know if food/drinks cost on planes. You may have heard of RyanAir being a hugely popular airline in Europe for its low prices, but you may not know that their prices include nothing but the flight. This brings me back my previous point – keep water and snacks with you. 
  4. Be aware of carry-on restrictions. Some airlines will let you play dumb if your bag is a little over-sized and will check it for free at the gate, but it’s never a good idea to rely on getting by. The same applies for the weight. My friend assumed they would never weigh her carry-on but they did and found that it was over twice the legal weight. She ended up paying for a third checked bag to get back home with all her books. Yes, it was entirely filled with books.
  5. Have a travel pillow. Whether it’s a rolled up (blanket) scarf or an actual pillow, give your neck a break. The side of the plane for those in the window seat is never as tolerable as you somehow make yourself believe and you’ll want something between the wall and your head.
  6. Bring your passport with you if you travel. Some students in my program left theirs behind when they took a bus to another country in the Schengen territory thinking they wouldn’t need them. They were wrong and the bus driver and everyone else on the bus were not pleased with the 45 minute wait while they filled out paperwork in a police car to continue on – and again reentering Hungary.
  7. In line with that, know if you should keep your passport on you or in a safe place where you’re staying. Always keep your passport it in a safe place where it won’t be easily stolen. In many places, your passport may be the only acceptable form of ID. Otherwise, leave it at home, preferably in a locked box or safe of some sort.
  8. Plan trips as far in advance as possible. Last-week flight purchases are expensive and hostels/hotels can book up quickly.
  9. Consider train and bus transportation for places closer to where you’re based. It may be longer travel time but saves you the time it takes to the airport and get through airport security. It’s also typically a heck of a lot less expensive. Overnight trips are also a good option if you have a commitment until later in the day but want to be somewhere else tomorrow.

Navigation and Preparation

  1. You can’t be prepared for everything – and that’s okay! It’s okay to be surprised, shocked, or thrown off guard. It keeps you on your toes and leads to experiences and learning opportunities you never could have planned. Even bad things (like losing your wallet) can teach you how to cope and become a true adult when you have to deal with the consequences.
  2. Don’t be afraid to go out of your comfort zone in order to have an experience that you never would have had while you were at home or before you took this journey. This is tame example but I had never flown alone before I went abroad and I didn’t particularly like flying at all. However, during my semester I travelled so much that I grew to feel comfortable in airports and in the air (even when we broke through the clouds landing in Dublin and immediately began swaying with the strong winds). I miss flying now!
  3. Take directions slowly. When lost, only follow the first step of verbal directions before stopping and asking someone else to confirm
  4. Don’t be afraid of getting lost. I met up with two of my friends in Barcelona, Spain and we got a little lost looking for some ruins. We ended up finding a small but nice restaurant for lunch where they showed us how to properly put together our own garlic bread.
  5. Keep a bag with you incase of unplanned shopping. Most grocery stores make you pay for bags and so it’s easier to keep a small reusable bag or two with you. I got two at IKEA in Hungary and became very attached to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment